• Home
  • Sustainability

Introduction to Jani-King Probiotic Cleaning

Did you know?

Since 1950, 70,000 new chemical compounds have been invented.  Only a fraction of these has been tested for human toxicity.  By default, we are conducting a massive clinical toxicology trial and we are the "volunteers".

Now consider this ... chemical use is at an all-time high, and so are viruses.

The Problem

Traditional cleaning and disinfecting methods are to poison all microbes via the use of harsh chemicals. These methods are flawed because they kill both good bacteria and bad bacteria. Alarmingly this assists bacteria and viruses to develop resistance, known as Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR). Also, these toxins are detrimental to human health, animal health and the environment.

AMR is the next global pandemic, and we are playing a crucial role in the process. As we have seen, microbes such as COVID-19 can cross borders quickly and easily.  Resistant bacteria are a global threat elevated by misuse of antibiotics within healthcare, and chemicals within cleaning.

Globally we see mainline antibiotics having trouble killing dangerous pathogens, such as MRSA, tuberculosis, C. difficile and others. This is due to bacteria evolving to withstand the treatment, and the more we expose them to antibiotics the more resistant they become.

Cleaning with harsh chemicals is no different. This contributes to AMR, making chemical cleaners ineffective in the long term. When a chemical cleaner kills 99.99% of pathogens, the remaining 0.01% will rapidly multiply, becoming stronger than before.  This now demonstrates why the high use of chemicals correlates to the high number of viruses that we find today.

What is Probiotic Cleaning?

Probiotic microbial products do not poison pathogens with chemical components. Instead, they use competitive exclusion to inhibit them. The specific selected probiotic strains in our products, rapidly colonize surfaces with good bacteria, produce specific enzymes that will continuously clean and protect the surface it is applied on.

Our products are designed using innovative and dedicated research and development into microbes, their enzyme profiles and modern chemistry.

Here's an image of how probiotics cleaning is more effective than traditional cleaning and disinfecting methods.

janiking bioking effects on biofilm




The Sustainable Solution

We harness the power of "cleaning by mother nature" to formulate our products using probiotics. 

Our products do not kill pathogens with drugs or chemicals, but primarily via the use of competitive exclusion to inhibit them.  The selected probiotic strains in our products rapidly colonise surfaces with good bacteria, eating food and available resources and therefore killing pathogens.

A key advantage is that whilst chemical cleaners only clean at a "point in time" and need to be continuously reapplied, our probiotic remains alive for up to 72 hours and will therefore continue to clean, sanitise and protect us from dangerous pathogenic bacteria. 

Interested in Jani-King Probiotics?

Jani-King is one of the first probiotic cleaning companies in New Zealand. To learn more, give us a call at 0800 526 454 or contact us via our enquiry form now.